If you’re a lawyer, chances are you’ve gotten a complaint or two in your career for delay or neglect. And while it’s easy to brush these complaints off, the fact is that they can be damaging to your reputation—and your business. So, what are the top 10 reasons why lawyers get complaints for delay or neglect? Let’s take a look.
1. You’re too busy trying to drum up new business to focus on your existing clients.
2. You’re juggling too many cases at once and something always falls through the cracks.
3. You’re relying too heavily on junior associates and paralegals to do the heavy lifting.
4. You’re in way over your head and you’re just hoping that somehow, miraculously, everything will work out in the end.
5. You’re procrastinating because you know you’re going to have to bill the client for every hour you work on their case—and you don’t want to do that.
6. You’re avoiding the client because you know they’re going to be angry about the results of their case.
7. You keep forgetting about the case because it’s not your top priority.
8. You’re not returning phone calls or emails because you don’t know what to say.
9. You’re hoping that if you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away on its own.
10. You’ve given up hope and you’ve decided it’s time to move on to greener pastures.
If you find yourself guilty of any of the above, it’s time to shape up—fast! Your clients deserve better than to be treated like an afterthought, and if you don’t start giving them the attention they deserve, someone else will—and they’ll take your business with them when they go.
However, there is still hope! The Top Attorneys of North America formulates solutions for any attorney looking to sharpen their blade! Sometimes it is better to swallow your pride and ask for help, before it’s too late.